The Kansas City Chiefs insisted that they fell in love

in Hier könnt Ihr Umfragen erstellen und Posten 24.08.2019 04:49
von panxing18 • Gas Geselle | 254 Beiträge

KANSAS CITY Chad Henne Jersey , Mo. — with Georgia wide receiver Mecole Hardman and were intent on selecting him with their first pick in the NFL draft all along.He was one of the fastest players at the scouting combine. He runs good routes but has room for some polish. He provides bonus value by being one of the best return men in the entire draft.It was just coincidence, Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said, that his game bears such a close resemblance to that of Tyreek Hill — their embattled star wide receiver, whose future with the franchise is uncertain because of an ugly child-abuse investigation that could result in his release.“You can coach a lot of things, and our staff does a great job of getting the most out of guys,” Veach said, “but at the end of the day, you can either run or you can’t. And he can run.”The Chiefs didn’t select until late in the second round after trading their first-round pick to Seattle as part of a package for pass rusher Frank Clark. But they used their three selections on Day 2 to fill some of their biggest holes, then wrapped up the draft with three more picks on Saturday.The Chiefs used another second-round selection on Virginia defensive back Juan Thornhill, who can play a variety of positions in new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo’s scheme. Their third-round pick went to Khalen Saunders, a massive run-stuffing defensive tackle out of Western Illinois.“All three of these guys are really, really good football players,” Veach said. “If you’d told me we’d end up with all three of these players, I wouldn’t have believed it.”As the Chiefs begin plugging additional holes with undrafted free agents, and turn their attention toward rookie minicamp and the rest of their offseason program, here is a look at their draft:WHO THEY GOTHardman was their initial pick but Thornhill may ultimately be the most valuable selection. The Chiefs signed Tyrann Mathieu in free agency as part of a massive defensive overhaul, and Thornhill’s ability to play center field should pair well with his game.“I was a little worried about it because I felt I had the potential to go in the first round Kendall Fuller Jersey ,” Thornhill said. “I had to wait a little longer, but I’m just ready to get there and play football.”On Saturday, the Chiefs added South Carolina defensive back Rashad Fenton and Utah State running back Darwin Thompson in the sixth round. They picked Illinois center Nick Allegretti in the seventh.SURPRISE MOVEThe trade for Clark was a bit eye-opening if only because it meant the Chiefs did not have a first-round pick for the second consecutive year. Of course, last year’s selection helped them nab quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who became the league MVP in his first season as a starter.“The one unique thing about Frank,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said, “is that it’s every play. Every down is an honest down. There is no time off where they are cruising at all.”HOW THEY DIDThe Chiefs were thrown a curveball by the legal trouble that has quickly engulfed Hill, forcing them to take a wide receiver earlier than anticipated. They plugged two big holes on their defense, getting particularly good value with Saunders late in the third round.“First of all my favorite color is red, so I’m just really excited to wear that. I wore red all through high school,” Saunders said with a laugh. “And secondly my hometown is St. Louis, so this is the best thing I can experience playing in Missouri. I’m from right across the state.”WHAT’S NEXTThe Chiefs have completely revamped their defense, moving from a 3-4 system to a 4-3 scheme, and they will continue to sift through prospects who fit what Spagnuolo wants to do. They also could use some depth pieces on offense, particularly along the offensive line. The Bengals' redesigned offense had quite an opening month, putting up yards and points at a far better rate than in the past two seasons.With opponents getting a better idea of what they're doing, Andy Dalton and company have sputtered in the past three games.It's more than just familiarity. Running back Giovani Bernard is sidelined by a knee injury Eric Murray Jersey , receiver John Ross has been limited by a groin injury, and the tight end position has been decimated by injuries. What's left hasn't been able to do much.The Bengals (4-3) head into a game Sunday against Tampa Bay (3-3) looking to stop the slide as they reach the season's midpoint and their bye week."We did some things early on in the season that were really good," quarterback Andy Dalton said Wednesday.In the first four games, Cincinnati's offense averaged 24.5 first downs and 376.5 total yards. In the past three, it has managed only 17 first downs per game and 282 yards, both significant drops.Dalton's numbers reflect the trend . He threw for 1,197 yards with 11 touchdowns in the first four games. In the past three, he's thrown for 625 yards with four touchdowns.Their worst showing by far came Sunday night during a 45-10 loss in Kansas City . The Bengals had a season-low 15 first downs and 239 yards against a defense that was last in the league. Dalton threw for only 148 yards and had an interception returned for a touchdown .The offense was shockingly limited in the first half. A.J. Green had six catches for 110 yards. The rest of the receivers combined for four catches for 8 yards. Green accounted for 110 of Cincinnati's 139 yards as the Chiefs took control."A couple of us had quiet games in the first half," said receiver Tyler Boyd, who had three catches for 27 yards overall. "I definitely wanted to make more plays in the first half to ease off A.J. I know he was tired at times, and he made a ton of plays."The Chiefs adjusted their coverage on Green in the second half and nobody else was able to take advantage."We have to be able to react and adjust in-game and get back on track," Dalton said. "Our goal is to get back to the way we were playing and the way we know we can play."The most glaring drop-off has been at the tight end spot with Tyler Eifert done for the season with a broken ankle and Tyler Kroft sidelined by a foot injury. C.J. Uzomah had two catches for 13 yards.Coordinator Bill Lazor told the offense this week that good teams improve as the season goes along, and it's time to get out of the recent rut."We're always mentioning that the sky's the limit for this offense, and Bill was pointing out we're declining," Boyd said.BURFICT STRUGGLINGLinebacker Vontaze Burfict has repeatedly missed tackles since returning from his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancers. He also was fined $112,000 for several egregious plays during a loss to the Steelers, including hitting Antonio Brown in the head again.In his three games Terrance Smith Jersey , Burfict has a total of 17 tackles, no sacks, no interceptions and two passes broken up. He landed on his hip during Sunday's game and was held out of practice on Wednesday."He hasn't played as well as he has in the past," coach Marvin Lewis said. Asked to elaborate, Lewis said, "I don't want to talk about Vontaze. It's not relevant."ALSO SIDELINEDBurfict was one of 10 players held out of practice, along with CB Darqueze Dennard (shoulder), CB Dre Kirkpatrick (Achilles), LB Nick Vigil (knee), long snapper Clark Harris (concussion), RB Giovani Bernard (knee), OT Jake Fisher (back), OT Bobby Hart (back), Kroft and Ross.Rookie center Billy Price returned to practice on a limited basis. He's been sidelined for five weeks by a partially torn ligament in his right foot. DT Adolphus Washington was limited by a tailbone injury.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: shilpakuted
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 4366 Themen und 4387 Beiträge.