Brodie Van Wagenen made his first public moves as New York Mets

in Hier könnt Ihr Umfragen erstellen und Posten 22.04.2019 04:25
von zhangzk • Gaser Lehrling III | 167 Beiträge

CARLSBAD Justin Bour Jersey , Calif. (AP) — general manager, firing hitting coach Pat Roessler along with bullpen coach Ricky Bones on Monday and announcing manager Mickey Callaway will have a new bench coach.After meeting for two days with Callaway last week, Van Wagenen said bench coach Gary DiSarcina will replace third-base coach Glenn Sherlock, who will shift to first-base coach.New York went 77-85 in Callaway’s first season as a manager, and Callaway drew attention for game management.In a 2-1, 10-inning loss at Cincinnati on May 9, Asdrubal Cabrera and Wilmer Flores batted out of order because the hand-written lineup card given to umpires was different than a computer-printed version posted in the Mets dugout. And on July 9, Callaway brought in left-hander Jerry Blevins against Philadelphia before lefty-hitting Odubel Herrera was announced as a pinch hitter, allowing Phillies manager Gabe Kapler to bat righty-hitting Jesmuel Valentin without wasting a player. Callaway insisted that was the matchup he wanted.Van Wagenen said the impetus for change started with Callaway’s self-evaluation.“Having someone that is an experienced coach that can help him with in-game management we thought would be a win for Mickey and help him with his development,” Van Wagenen said. “You’ve got to identify who complements yourself.”Former Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., who had been first-base coach, will become a front office adviser to the 44-year-old Van Wagenen, who quit as co-head of CAA Baseball’s agency group and was hired Oct. 30 to replace Sandy Alderson as GM. Van Wagenen knows Amaro since his own days as a player at Stanford.“I think in my transition, he can be a valuable asset for me in the front office,” Van Wagenen said.Roessler was promoted to hitting coach from assistant when Kevin Long left for Washington after the 2017 season. Bones had been bullpen coach since the 2012 season.Alderson’s top three assistants have been asked to stay on and are attending this week’s GM meetings: assistant general manager John Ricco and special assistants JP Ricciardi and Omar Minaya. Van Wagenen did not specify if all three had decided to stay with the Mets long-term.“We’ve talked to those guys about various different roles and areas of focus and, hopefully, we can get more definition as it goes forward http://www.marlinsfanproshop.com/authentic-starlin-castro-jersey ,” he said. “But they’re certainly important to me and that’s why they’re out here this week.”Van Wagenen attended the Arizona Fall League All-Star Game last weekend, met with player development staff and scouts, and also had dinner with Mets prospect Peter Alonso, who homered in the game on a 103 mph pitch from Toronto’s Nate Pearson. The first baseman, who turns 24 next month, hit .314 with 15 homers and 52 RBIs in 65 games this year with Double-A Binghamton, then batted .260 with 21 homers and 67 RBIs in 67 games at Triple-A Las Vegas following a mid-June promotion.“He is a really hard worker and he has a burning desire to succeed, and he communicated that very clearly to me, and I told him that we’re going to give him every opportunity to try to capitalize on that both in the short term and the long-term,” Van Wagenen said. “He will be going to big league camp, and we’ll try to get him as many at-bats as we can and see if we can make a decision in terms of how ready he is.”Van Wagenen also met with 20-year-old shortstop prospect Andres Gimenez. SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The deep, slugging Los Angeles Dodgers took a far more challenging road on their sixth straight trip to the playoffs. Despite it all, they still believe they’re the team to beat for a World Series title.A surprising 16-26 start and injuries to some of their biggest stars, including a pair of disabled list stints for ace pitcher Clayton Kershaw, left the Dodgers in a hole and needing to win in the final weekend to claim baseball’s final postseason berth.Kershaw and the Dodgers earned that spot and moved into a tie with Colorado for the NL West lead, getting a go-ahead triple from Manny Machado in the eighth inning Saturday and beating the San Francisco Giants 10-6.And they celebrated, even with more to accomplish Sunday.Colorado lost at home to Washington Nick Wittgren Jersey , dropping into a tie for the division lead. The regular season is scheduled to end Sunday — if Los Angeles and Colorado finish even, there will be a one-game tiebreaker for the West title Monday at Dodger Stadium.“It hasn’t been easy, I guess, this year, we’ve kind of been in a dogfight the whole year as far as with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies,” Kershaw said between dousings. “This game in particular just kind of showed the team that we have. It’s never good when I’m a better hitter than I am a pitcher. That’s what it was today. For these guys to pick me up like they did today — I don’t know, I think we had 18 hits or something — it’s just really special to be a part of. The celebration today is a little bit more subdued, and we want it that way.”The Dodgers, who haven’t won the World Series since 1988 and lost in Game 7 to Houston last year, assured themselves at least a spot in the wild-card game. They joined Colorado, Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee in the NL playoff field.Once the champagne had been popped, sprayed in triumph and consumed, many of the Dodgers were headed back to their hotel to watch the Rockies.“We went through a lot of ups and downs, but we’ve still got a chance to win the division,” veteran Matt Kemp said. “I think everybody’s going to sit there and watch the game tonight and see what happens and try to take care of business tomorrow.”After the final out, the Dodgers exited their dugout and high-fived in a tame celebration. Manager Dave Roberts waved to hundreds of fans in the outfield bleachers.The Dodgers’ win eliminated St. Louis from playoff contention. The Cardinals beat the Cubs earlier in the day to preserve their postseason chances for another few hours.Machado Julio Urias Jersey , the star infielder acquired from Baltimore during the All-Star break, hit a two-out triple off Mark Melancon (1-4) for a 6-5 lead. Max Muncy added a two-run double during a four-run ninth, much to the delight of all the Dodger Blue in the rival’s ballpark.Alex Wood (9-7) pitched the seventh for the win and Kenley Jansen closed it out. Roberts said afterward it was a “no-brainer” with too much on the line to not go with his reliable ninth-inning man.Kershaw allowed eight hits and five runs — his most in 44 starts against the Giants — over five innings and had a two-run single in the fourth for his first career RBIs in 24 games at AT&T Park. The lefty made just 26 starts and failed to beat the Giants in four 2018 outings. He missed double-digit wins for the first time since going 8-8 in 2009, also the last season he didn’t beat San Francisco at least once.He said he has been too “preoccupied” with getting to the playoffs to consider his next step and future, saying, “I have no idea … I can’t give an answer because I really don’t know what is ahead.”Joc Pederson gave the Dodgers a fast start with his 11th career leadoff home run, his franchise-record eighth this season. Yasiel Puig connected to start the second inning.The Dodgers dropped into second place in the West behind the Rockies following a 7-2 loss at Arizona on Wednesday. That left Los Angeles the final weekend against its rival to capture a third playoff trip in as many years under Roberts.He still believes these Dodgers — with their talented rotation, bullpen and loaded lineup — are in prime position to bring home a championship.“I think we’re the best team,” Roberts said. “And I’ve said it. Most importantly though we’ve still got to go out there and play like it.”ROOKIE HIGHS AND LOWSGiants rookie Dereck Rodriguez, who lasted just three innings while facing the Dodgers for the first time, saw his winless stretch reach seven starts since defeating the Pirates on Aug. 12. His 2.81 ERA with a minimum of 100 innings pitched ranks lowest in San Francisco history for rookies. The Giants lost his last seven outings and nine of 11.“I’m sure he’s disappointed that his last start went like this but he’s done an unbelievable job,” manager Bruce Bochy said.TRAINER’S ROOMGiants: OF Austin Slater won’t play again this year because of a strained right elbow revealed by an MRI exam. He’s expected to be full strength by spring training.Umpire: Friday plate umpire Brian Knight broke his left foot on a foul tip in the top of the sixth inning — he kept working — then was replaced Saturday by Ed Hickox, who arrived in the Bay Area about 3 a.m. after working a 15-inning Diamondbacks-Padres game at San Diego.UP NEXTDodgers: RHP Walker Buehler (7-5, 2.76 ERA) won in his first career start at AT&T Park on April 28. The Dodgers weren’t ruling out a change based on the Rockies’ outcome.Giants: LHP Andrew Suarez (7-12, 4.22) has received three or fewer runs of support in 21 of his 28 outings.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: shilpakuted
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 4366 Themen und 4387 Beiträge.