The first half of the New York Giants season is (finally)

in Porbleme mit der Anlage 11.03.2019 07:08
von liny195 • Gaser Lehrling I | 79 Beiträge

over and the team is limping in to their Week 9 bye. They dropped yet another winnable game Womens Landon Collins Jersey , falling to 1-7 on the season after losing to the Washington Redskins at home. As we have seen too many times this year, the Giants’ defense played more than well enough to win, holding Washington to just 20 points, 13 for most of the game, but the offense could not capitalize on any opportunity.There was plenty of bad, but there were a few bright spots to be found in the Giants’ mess.Hill, Goodson, and Carter made the most of their opportunitiesWith Damon Harrison on the Detroit Lions and Alec Ogletree injured, those snaps had to go somewhere. The recipients were rookie DT B.J. Hill and LB B.J. Goodson, and the two made good use of their opportunities. Goodson has been a starter alongside Ogletree, but he has been the linebacker taken off the field in nickel situations. In this case, Goodson stayed on the field and was constantly around the ball. He played “okay” dropping in coverage — not great, but probably better than some thought he might given his reputation as a downhill linebacker. But it was going downhill was where Goodson shined. He was consistently around the ball in the run game, making several plays behind the line of scrimmage. Hill made his presence felt throughout the game in both the running game and as a pass rusher. Washington has a great interior offensive line, and Hill was routinely forcing his way in to the backfield. Damon Harrison is still the best nose tackle in the business, but the combination of Hill and Tomlinson are why the Giants could trade him. Lorenzo Carter saw a definite uptick in snaps played as the Giants sought to use his athleticism to improve their pass rush. Carter didn’t get any sacks this game, but he was a constant presence in the Washington backfield and pressured Alex Smith several times. The rookie still has a way to go to harness his physical abilities, but the upside is evident. Quadree Henderson is a keeperIt took three tries for the Giants to get Quadree Henderson on their team and on the field. They showed an interest in him prior to the 2018 NFL draft, sending their special teams coordinator to Pittsburgh’s pro day, as well as hosting him for a pre-draft visit, but didn’t sign him as an undrafted free agent. They had him in for another workout after final cutdowns, but didn’t sign him then, either. The Giants finally signed him to their practice squad early in October, and he has made plays as a returner since being signed to the 53-man roster. In a season where bright spots and silver linings are few and far between, Henderson’s emergence as a returner is one of them.The offensive line can always get worseThe offensive line was broken and bad in 2017 Womens Curtis Riley Jersey , there was no arguing that it needed attentionand an infusion of talent in the 2018 offseason. But somehow the offensive line is worse than last year, and has been trending downward. Eli Manning was sacked seven (7) times Sunday afternoon, bringing his season total up to 31, which ties the total from all of 2017. In fact, Manning has already been sacked more than all but two seasons (2017 and 2013) in his whole career — he is on pace to be sacked 62 times. Some of those sacks are on Manning, such as the final one where he needed to throw the ball away, but there has still been far too much pressure allowed for any QB to function consistently. Meanwhile, the Giants’ running game continues to be nearly nonexistent, with Saquon Barkley picking up just 38 yards on 13 carries (2.8 yards per carry). The Giants offensive line is ranked dead last in run blocking, and the team has little to show on the ground when Barkley isn’t making a spectacular play.The Giants’ offensive line was bad to start the season and has only been getting worse.The Giants would be crazy to trade Odell Beckham Jr.Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported shortly before the game Sunday that teams were making trade offers for Beckham. The report also said that the Giants were going to “pump the breaks” and “hold off for now” on moving Beckham. Based on what he has done in his career, and especially in a bad, broken offense these past two weeks, the Giants would be crazy to consider moving him any time in the conceivable future. Yes, he is making a lot of money, but he is worth every penny. So far this season he has 61 catches for 785 yards, 16 for 279 in the last two weeks. Beckham is one of the three best receivers in the NFL, the team is better with him than without, and when they do move on to another quarterback, he will be better with Beckham than without. The 2019 Reese’s Senior Bowl is in the rear view mirror and the Super Bowl is almost upon us. The New York Giants draft slot has been set for some time, but we still don’t quite know the full draft order — and won’t for a few more days. We have been keeping track of all the multitude of mock drafts around the interwebs as we get deeper into Draft Season. But now is a pretty good time to run through a mock draft of our own. In my first two mock drafts I simulated trades, but I’m not going to do that this time around. Let’s be clear: Trades are going to happen on draft night. We have seen it repeatedly over the last few years, and it is basically certainty that teams will be moving around in the first round, and there are at least two picks in the top five which are for sale. I do not expect the Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets to be the teams picking at first and third overall, respectively. Those two teams have new coaches and rosters in desperate need of young talent, particularly after executing trades to acquire Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold.As I did in my second mock draft Womens Jon Halapio Jersey , I will be going through the entire first round, and down to the sixth pick in the second round. I would go further, but considering the Giants have already made their third-round pick (Sam Beal), there isn’t much of a point to that right now. Finally, I will explain my picks at the end, after going through the mock draft.On to the mock! Arizona Cardinals - Nick Bosa (EDGE, Ohio State)San Francisco 49ers - Josh Allen (EDGE, Kentucky)New York Jets - Quinnen Williams (iDL, Alabama) Oakland Raiders - Dwayne Haskins (QB, Ohio State)Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Cody Ford (OT, Oklahoma) New York Giants - Jachai Polite (EDGE, Florida)Jacksonville Jaguars - Daniel Jones (QB, Duke)Detroit Lions - Ed Oliver (DL, Houston)Buffalo Bills - D.K. Metcalf (WR, Mississippi)Denver Broncos - Drew Lock (QB, Missouri)Cincinnati Bengals - Devin White (LB, LSU)Green Bay Packers - Brian Burns (EDGE, FSU)Miami Dolphins - Clellen Farrell (EDGE, Clemson)Atlanta Falcons - Jeffery Simmons (iDL, Mississippi State)Washington Redskins - Kyler Murray (QB, Oklahoma)Carolina Panthers - Garrett Bradbury (C, North Carolina State)Cleveland Browns - Kelvin Harmon (WR, North Carolina State)Minnesota Vikings - Chris Lindstrom (OL, Boston College)Tennessee Titans - Noah Fant (TE, Iowa)Pittsburgh Steelers - Greedy Williams (CB http://www.newyorkgiantsteamonline.com/b.j.-hill-jersey , LSU)Seattle Seahawks - David Edwards (OT, Wisconsin)Baltimore Ravens - Montez Sweat (EDGE, Mississippi State)Houston Texans - Yodny Cajuste (OT, West Virginia)Oakland Raiders (via Chicago Bears) - Rashan Gary (DL, Michigan)Philadelphia Eagles - DeAndre Baker (CB, Georgia)Indianapolis Colts - N’Keal Harry (WR, Arizona State)Oakland Raiders (via Dallas Cowboys) - Mack Wilson (ILB, Alabama)Los Angeles Chargers - Christian Wilkins (iDL, Clemson)Kansas City Chiefs - Byron Murphy (CB, Washington)Green Bay Packers (via New Orleans Saints) - Nasir Adderly (S, Delaware)New England Patriots - J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (WR, Stanford)Los Angeles Rams - Amani Oruwariye (CB, Penn State)Round 2 33. Arizona Cardinals - Deebo Samuel (WR, South Carolina) 34. Indianapolis Colts (via Jets) - Rock Ya-Sin (CB, Temple)35. Oakland Raiders - Deionte Thompson (S, Alabama) 36. San Francisco 49ers - Hakeem Butler (WR, Iowa State)37. New York Giants - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (S, Florida)Giants picks explainedOkay, so far I kept a couple cards close to my (figurative) vest. When I made the Giants’ picks, I was operating on the assumption that they will address the offensive line before the draft. I stand by my supposition that Daryl Williams will be a (perhaps the) primary target in free agency. But whether it is Williams or another lineman, the Giants have to find an upgrade for right tackle. They also need to think very seriously about upgrading center and right guard as well (interestingly, both Brett Jones and D.J. Fluker are currently set to be free agents as well). So with that out there ... This mock did not work out to be ideal for me. Putting myself in the role of Dave Gettleman, I wasn’t going to even consider Kyler Murray at sixth overall (maybe have him as a sixth-round slot receiver). As I said above, I would be stunned if there aren’t trades in the top five picks, and even if a team doesn’t trade up for him Womens Riley Dixon Jersey , I don’t think it is insane that the Raiders draft him. Haskins is a solid fit for Gruden’s offense, and Mike Mayock said at the Senior Bowl that when he addressed the Raiders’ front office, that this might be the most important draft in the franchise’s history. To me, that says that the most important position is definitely on the table, particularly when their expensive starter just got into a very public spat with an ESPN talking head, after a disappointing season. The Giants could, theoretically, trade up for Haskins, but it would be difficult and expensive. If they do so, it will mean trading their second round pick as well as their 2020 first and second round picks, at the very least. Last year the Jets made the same trade, moving from sixth up to third, and it cost them three second round picks. Since, generally speaking, future picks are discounted by a round, the Giants’ future picks would be valued at a second and third. With Haskins off the board, I decided to address the defense, which I do believe will (and should) dominate the Giants’ draft.Round 1 - Jachai Polite (EDGE, Florida)The most pressing issue for the defense is their (in)ability to convert QB pressures into sacks, and I decided to attack that problem on two fronts, with the first being the pass rush itself.The Giants were near the top of the league in terms of total QB pressures, but were one of the worst teams in the league in terms of actually converting that pressure into box score production. A big part of that will be upgrading their coverage so James Bettcher can call the kind of defense he really wants to, but another part will be getting a player with the speed to truly scare offenses and run past tackles. Polite’s ability to explode off the line of scrimmage and bend around the edge is reminiscent of 2010-2011 vintage Osi Umenyiora, as are his 11 sacks, 19.5 tackles for a loss Authentic Dalvin Tomlinson Jersey , and 6 sacks this past season. Polite might have the highest ceiling as a pass rusher of any prospect in the draft, and it’s about time the Giants had another true menace off the edge. Right now this looks like a slight reach, but if Polite’s combine performance matches up (or exceeds) his tape, we very well could hear his name called in the first ten picks. Polite might not be a common name up there yet, but he might be the best pure pass rusher in the entire draft while still being a competent run defender. He is sudden, explosive, physical, tenacious, and has enough savvy and polish to produce immediately, while still having upside to get better with coaching and development. Round 2 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (S, Florida) Yeah, I passed on a QB again. But at this point I would rather pick a lottery ticket in Round 4 with a player like Jordan Ta’amu or Brett Rypien to compete with (or replace) Kyle Lauletta. The Giants’ need at free safety is glaring to say the least. It is difficult to understate how important a good free safety is to a man-coverage, blitz-heavy defense. Making matters more difficult, the Giants clearly want a player at free safety who also has the skill-set to play slot corner and help with disguises and match-ups. Gardner-Johnson hasn’t gotten much press yet, but his stock could rise with the Scouting Combine and as people go back to the tape. He looks like a very good athlete on the field who has improved in most aspects of his game in his time in Florida. He also has the ability to play man coverage in the slot, which the Giants seem to covet so highly.It is possible that he Giants try to find a free safety in free agency, in which case, this pick would probably be Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson. I do believe that cutting Rhett Ellison is well within the realm of possibility, and Hockenson not only presents an athletic upgrade over Ellison, he is an excellent blocker and a great pairing with Evan Engram.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: shilpakuted
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 4366 Themen und 4387 Beiträge.